Cropped Cardigan with Leaf Ties (a.k.a. "Leaf")

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Pick me up

I've had a lazy last couple of days. Mike left for Mallorca on Sunday and will be there for three (!) months, so my human contact outside of work has drastically declined. We've got skype set up, so it won't be too bad...and, as Mike reminded me before he left, we got through the four years that I lived in North Carolina seeing each other one weekend a month.

I splurged on yarn at Full Thread Ahead and Richesse (they still have a great sale going), as well as on girly bath stuff, but I still feel like I need a pick-me-up. So tonight I'm making tiramisu (or tira mi su, Italian for "pick me up") and then I'm going to wrap it up and not touch it until tomorrow, when it's headed to a July 4th barbeque in Queens with me. Except for maybe the extra that doesn't fit in the pan.


The next three months will be short on pictures, since Mike took the camera with him, but I do have the seamed up (and as-yet-unlined) Promenade bag...I made it with three skeins of Berroco Flax that I picked up when Handknits in Englewood closed. I think the pattern tells you to cast on the wrong number of stitches, so I cast on a few more. It looks quite different from the original because I didn't have the pattern to hand when I started the lattice rows--I did my yarnovers after the knit stitches rather than before, so it's a slanted lattice. I was afraid I'd run out of yarn, so I made it more of a purse than a market bag by doing one yarnover rather than two--the holes are smaller and (I think) less stretchy this way.

It's still unlined because I have yet to find a fabric store in NYC that's not hideously expensive. I thought I'd have success around Herald Square and below, but all of those shops seem to sell sunglasses, perfumes, and ridiculous tchotchkes. I'm thinking of using an old t-shirt--I need something fairly reversible, since it'll show through the outside of the bag. The search continues...

Comments on "Pick me up"

 

Blogger Dame Wendy said ... (10:04 PM) : 

Hello! That bag is gorgeous!! I love the color. :)

It was a pleasure meeting you tonight and I'd be happy to help with some candles for the new place!

See you at the next meetup!

 

Blogger Code Purl said ... (2:40 PM) : 

As Wendy said, that bag is really gorgeous. I'll bet it looks even better than the original design.

You could try PS Fabrics down in Chinatown for some more affordable yarn: http://psyarns.com/
They had a big going out of business sale a few months back but I just called to see if they're still open and they said they just moved across the street to 360 Broadway (b/w Franklin and Leonard St). Good luck!

 

Blogger Sarah said ... (10:47 AM) : 

I really like the bag! I have some plastic bag handles stashed away somewhere so I may have to make it myself....

Maybe try looking on eBay for fabric or vintage curtains/pillowcases/bedding to use as lining.

 

post a comment